You may not have any particular beliefs or spirituality, and your ceremony will reflect your wishes with respect to your lifestyle and values.
At Ceremony NorthWest we respect all respecful faith, spitituality and secular values. In each of our lives; as well as love and adventure, fun and imagination there are times of immense challenge and even despair … and that’s why we have friends, family, community, locality, values, ethics, beliefs and culturally sustaining ceremony and rites… sustaining, enriching, protecting our lives and there when we need more
You may want some element of your beliefs to be woven into your ceremony. Just say what this means to you…..
You may want your ceremony to be held on a specific date, season or time that is significant to your spiritual beliefs and calendar and to you.
You may want your ceremony to take place at a specific venue that you hold as sacred or spiritual.
These are some aspects of how you may represent your values, beliefs and spirituality within your ceremony.You may want certain wording, ethos or a ritual to be included.
You may want aspects of a pagan ceremony or simply want to ensure that all products you use; such as hand fastings, are bio desgadeable and from sustainable sources.
- Handfasting / Tying the Knot. A Spiritual Comittment Ceremony
Handfastings – tying of the hands with ribbons; also known as Tying The Knot – symbolise love and commitment today as much as ever.
The colours of the ribbons can also be meaningful to each couple.
Some colours and their meanings for Handfasting:
- The Significance of Colours
* Red – will, passion, strength, fertility, courage, health, vigour, lust, danger
Yule/ Mars/Tuesday /Scorpio
- Orange – encouragement, adaptability, stimulation, attraction, plenty, kindness
Candlemas/Brigit/Sun, Mars, Mercury /Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday
- Yellow – attraction, charm, confidence, balance, harmony, knowledge, learning, concentration, persuasion, jealousy, joy, comfort
Mercury/ Wednesday / Gemini, Leo
- Green – finances, fertility, luck, success energy, charity, growth, rejuvenation, prosperity, nurturing, beauty, health, ambition, counteract greed and jealousy, plants / herbal healing
Venus, Mercury/ Friday, Wednesday / Spring Equinox, Beltane / Taurus Persephone, Hestia
- Blue – tranquillity, understanding, patience, health, truth, devotion, sincerity, honour, loyalty, peace, wisdom, protection during sleep, astral projection
- Light Blue – tranquillity, understanding, patience, health
- Dark Blue – safe journey, longevity, strength
Moon, Venus, Saturn, Jupiter / Monday, Friday, Saturday, Thursday A
- Purple – power, piety, sanctity, sentimentality, tension, sadness amplification of other energies. wisdom, high ideals, spiritual protection and healing, psychic ability, protective energy, strength, progress
Jupiter / Thursday / Sagittarius
- Pink – unity, honour, truth, romance, happiness, healing, familial love, friendship, affections, unselfish emotions, spiritual healing, protection
rose quartz / Venus / Friday
You may want to include a particular song or prayer…this is all possible.
You may want the Handfasting Ceremony as a spiritual or commitment Ceremony. If so, choose a date near a full moon. May can be a good month for handfasting. This is a lovely spiritual Ceremony.
The Celebrant may, if the couple like, ring a bell three times to open the Ceremony. The Celebrant explains the significance of the ceremony to everyone. The couple declare their desire to be joined. The Celebrant asks if anyone knows of a reason why they shouldn’t be handfasted.
Other aspects of ceremony may be included such as lighting candles, drinking from the Loving Cup , Jumping the Broom, exchanging a flower or meaningful gift.